Our Journey Together

Good evening!   

I've been wanting to write a new blog entry since Wednesday so I apologize for the tardiness.  My hope is to blog once a week.

In regards to the goals I mentioned previously- Saving money week two? Check.  Bible reading schedule on track? Check.  Chapter writing?  I haven't written new material but I have changed and edited some previously penned prose.  Song composition? Fail-haven't written a note.  Tough mudder training?  I have lost some weight, but that's not near enough-which leads me to a topic I've been focusing on this week.

Emotional Eating

I admit it freely-I'm an eater.  Food, glorious food in all it's textures and colors and smells and tastes and sounds is amazing in a word.  In your mind's eye picture a plate of freshly crisped bacon.  Just picture it.

  You can't do it can you?  

The sense memory you have allows you to smell it, see it, taste it on your tongue, feel the texture of it in your mouth, and you hear the sizzling still hot bacon grease in the skillet.  I bet your mouth is watering now and all I did was make you remember the last piece of bacon you ate.

How does that make you feel?  No doubt a bit of joy, some happiness perhaps even satisfaction and contentment.  

Most food makes me feel that way.  Consequently, when life feels stressful or overwhelming or even dull and boring, food provides emotionally what we find lacking in our lives.  Perhaps "we" isn't the word I should use here- perhaps "me" is more appropriate.

So I must find my eating triggers beyond the physical need.  For me I notice as soon as I am angry the refrigerator door is wide open.  I will eat my anger like you wouldn't believe.  I drink the Hersey's chocolate syrup directly from the bottle of that's what it takes to feel relief.  Instead of doing this emotional eating, I'm trying to focus on other ways to deal with it.  No one thing is working.  Usually it is a combination.  

There is a sign hanging outside out sanctuary at church that says "Our Journey Together 2014" and today our pastor spoke about humility.  

I have to be humble and realize that I give food way too much power in my life.  Instead of giving my anger food, I'm going to try giving God the anger and the food to use or deal with as He sees fit.  I'm not alone in this journey on this mud ball we call Earth.  He is with me, He will get me where He wants me.  And that's part of the journey.

More next week!
God Bless You on Your Journey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The lost art

The voice of God

100 days