My journey starts

I'm not sure why, but I feel it's time to try this blogging thing again.  I wrote one a few years back, but  felt uncertain anyone but me was reading.  So... I begin anew.

     Personally I don't care for new beginnings.  More often I feel it's because new beginnings often mean something previous has ended.  I don't like endings at all.  As January 2014 starts we all focus on our "New Year's Resolutions."  But these are goals we most often never follow through.  I believe as a society we are at a point where we fear accomplishing our goals because then it's over.  The race is run; the dream achieved; the game won.  And when that happens we end up empty.  We forget to forge anew, train for new races, dream bigger dreams, and play a new game.

     But like I said, I don't like things being over and finished.  Therefore, it's time to break my comfort zone.  There are things I want to accomplish in 2014.  This blog will be about my journey through them-and hopefully their conclusion.

1.  Save money.
          I'm a spender not a saver, hence my bank roll is thin.  I saw a great idea a friend posted on Facebook.  You set aside one dollar of ever week of the year.  So in week one you save one dollar, in week two, two dollars.  Fantastic idea!  Or so I thought.  I realized quickly that weeks I would be setting aside the most money were in December right when I needed that money for Christmas presents.  I have chosen to start from 52 and work my way down to 1.  Week 1 accomplished.  I'm off to a good start.

2.  Read the entire Bible.
          Those of you who know me will know my faith is something I take seriously, but there are portions of the Bible I haven't read at all or haven't read in a very long time.  Bible Gateway has an app that features reading plans.  I started this one at the end if December because I know there are days I will fall behind.  So far I've kept up regularly.  So far so good.

3.  Write 30 chapters.
          One of those projects I've been working on for a decade that doesn't ever get much further than the planning stages.  I've been writing a fiction novel.  I have it mapped out for the most part, I just need to write.  Not going strong in this one, haven't written anything yet this year.

4.  Compose the song.
          Primarily I'm a farmer and a music director at a wonderful church.  I studied music in college but didn't specialize in composition at all.  But there's a song that keeps running in the background of my mind.  A piece for violin and piano.  I don't want it to be just another pretty song, I want it to be good quality music.  I have about sixteen bars I started last evening.  It's awful.  But part of creating is undoing and redoing until you get it right.  So I persevere.

And lastly, the big one, the one that will be the most difficult to accomplish...

5.     I want to be a Tough Mudder.
            A 10-12 mile obstacle course through mud and ice water and barbed wire ... And I'm not close to being an athlete.  At least not on the outside.  My mind and soul say "let's do it!"  Alas the body is still weak, and overweight.  Bad knees and all, I press forward.



With the goals established, I set out on my journey.  Oh, there's another one too.  But it's not getting posted unless it happens.  It's not so much of a goal as it is a wish, one that only God can make happen.  But I'll let you know if He does.

Feel free to leave comments, but only positive, constructive ones.  This is not a place for drama and negativity.  Only a place for results and positivity.  May all your journeys be experiences of growth and learning in 2014.

Happy New Year!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The lost art

The voice of God

100 days