Lulu and me

Anyone who knows me at all will verify the fact that I am not a morning person.  Not even close to a morning person.  I deeply treasure the serenity that evening brings.  The quiet and stillness is breath taking.  It's truly when I feel most energized.  I do recognize the fact that many people feel that same way about morning... I'm just not one of them.

Yet, there I was wide awake at 3:45 am.  Now if I'm awake at that time it's usually because I haven't gone to bed yet.  Usually.  I went to bed at 10:30 after a long but productive day yesterday and fell asleep in a relatively quick manner.  So I simply asked "Lord, why am I awake?"  An image came to mind immediately, it was Lulu.

In case you don't know me personally I should explain that I live on a dairy farm.  Lulu is a cow.  She's a good sized Brown Swiss that stands in the third stall down from the upper end on the right side of the barn.  And Lulu is due to deliver a baby.

It did take me a few minutes (I confess) to talk myself out from underneath the warm covers and venture downstairs.  Put the boots on and that heavy winter coat-it is January after all- and trek to the barn to check on the mother-to-be.

What was I going to find? A heifer calf? A bull calf?  Perhaps a cow struggling in the throes of labor?  I didn't know what adventure waited for me in the barn- but I was eager to discover it.  Me-eager at 4:00 am? This is new.

What I found in the barn was not at all what I anticipated.  There was Lulu standing tall, munching on hay.  No calf in sight-no evidence of a birth at all.  It's not time yet for the newborn I surmise.  There was nothing new or unusual going on in the barn.  Everything was normal.  This was a waste of time- not to mention sleep.

Or was it?

On the return walk to the barn the thought occurred to me, it's the journey.  

Oftentimes we fixate on the end result not the process of getting there.  It's the process where we grow and learn who we are.  The potential life of this calf was far too important to me at that moment to lay in bed and say "Gee I wonder if she's alright."  I could have stayed in bed, tried to fall asleep and carry on with me.  But while I grow as I traverse the path, the path I'm on isn't always about me.

In my last post I mentioned that banner above the sanctuary at church that reads "Our Journey Together 2014". I change and develop as a person not only through my own experiences but also through the observation of the lives of those around me.  We are in this together.  Our life paths are unique to us but they do not stay parallel to the paths of those around us.  They criss-cross and overlap, weaving in and out, around and through the paths of others.  We love, we despair, we grieve, and we find joy.  Together.  

This morning Lulu and I traveled for a moment together.  I went to check on her, provide for her needs, and be there for her.  Turns out she didn't need me at that moment, but I can't help wonder if she thought "Thanks for looking after me. I don't need you yet, but I will soon.  Now I know you'll do your best to be there when I need you."

Lulu and me- God and me- you and me. We're all in this together.

God bless you on your journey!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The lost art

The voice of God

100 days