Safety net

Several weeks ago I posted a Facebook status about writing a poem in 90 seconds, that I had been trying to write for a week and it just never worked.  Then there was that one moment and BOOM like lightning it was completed and rather beautiful.

I was encouraged to share that poem since I had talked about it in a status.  That's not going to happen.  It's too personal and private for public sharing.

However I did compose a new one this morning.  This one took about ten minutes total.  It's ironic because the line I hated the most the first time through, has now given me the title.

Thanks to my friend Amy T. for reading it so I could have a fresh set of eyes looking at it.

Safety Net

When there's a smile on your face
I'll be there for you
When you feel you've lost your place
I'll help find you 

If your heart is shattered
I'm still around
If you don't believe you ever mattered
I'm here to lift you off the ground

Should your life be full of joy and bliss
My heart prays that it will never go
Should your path go astray and your circumstances amiss
My hand will grab you, dust you off, and help you grow

Times in life get very black 
But I'll stand with you, even when your wrong.
Times get rough.  I'll have your back
But even then, sing out a song 

Because you are cherished and loved
Know that I love you, to the moon and back
Because when life stings and you feel pushed and shoved
Know I will do everything I can to keep you on track

And if the time comes you don't want me near.
Understand that I'm a fighter.  I will hang on and stay close by 
And if the time comes back around and you need me here
Understand we can rebuild, but I won't push so please don't hide 

I miss you
You'll change and yet
I love you
You'll always have a safety net


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The voice of God

The lost art

100 days