the 2015 journey

Many of you may recall that last January I set aside 5 things I desired to accomplish in 2014.  I feel it is time to update you on that list and create a new list ... well sort of a new list.

1.  Save Money.
     Over the course of the year I set aside one dollar for every week of the year into my savings account. Starting with 52 and counting down to 1.  I did not accomplish it quite like that, but I did manage to save that amount of money plus a little more over during the year.  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
     Now for 2015, I've decided to challenge myself a bit further.  Using the same method, but doubling it.  I'll start with 104 dollars and whittle my way down to a two dollar week at the end of December 2015...at least that's the idea.

2.  Read the entire Bible.  It took a bit more than a year, as I finished up yesterday.  But I did read the entire Bible.  So MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.  However, I must be honest and say I didn't enjoy it.  When I read and study Scripture, I actually prefer the studying part.  I want to dig in and find the meaning of the passages as God intends them.  Many times throughout the year I didn't feel as if reading the entirety of Scripture was truly benefiting me other than to say "I did what I set out to do and read the Bible in it's fullness."
     2015 - The Epistles of Paul are the focus of my study this year.  And it will be exciting to actually study again.  I can move at a slower pace and really pick some things apart.  If my math was correct I can spend an average of 4 days on any given chapter and still be on task.  If I complete this earlier than a full year, I will add Hebrews into the study as some say Paul authored it, but others disagree.

3.  Writing 30 chapters of my novel. ... ... ummm... ... EPIC FAIL.  I finished a couple of chapters that needed some work.  I wrote three more.  In total I have about 8-10 chapters written.  No where close to my desired goal.
     I'm keeping this one on the list for 2015.  Also I want to improve my writing skills.  I bought a new laptop and there's a fascinating software program geared toward novel writing that I am considering purchasing to help me out.  Additionally I think I'm going to sign up for an LLP (Life-Long Learning Program) at the local community college that focuses on beginning writing basics.  The course is an online course so that will be fun to try.  Besides if you aren't learning on a regular basis, you're just wasting away.
     Then there's Emmalee.  I wrote a short story several months back that was based in a dream.  The story was posted here.  Several friends have asked if there's more to her story.  I'm not sure, but maybe.  I have begun to expire this possibility, so for those who enjoyed her story, there may be a sequel!

4.  The song.  It's beautiful; I love it so much for so many reasons.  It is not yet finished, but I can feel it winding up and believe it will be completed by the end of January.  My last blog focused on this goal so I won't spend much more time on it here other than to say that it continues to be an experience I adore.

5.  Tough Mudder.  I'm counting this one as COMPLETE because my scheduling didn't work to do the Tough Mudder in 2014 but I did do the Gladiator Rock'N Run.  Truly the best day of 2014 for me.  This year's Tough Mudder for this region is about 30 minutes from my house so... no excuses, no more resting.  It's time to get tough.

In many ways the goal list will look the same: save money, read and study Scripture, write, and be a Tough Mudder.  But I'm adding a new one to the list.

You see, to be quite honest 2014 was awful.  I'm so glad its behind me and the past is gone.  I don't believe a person should spill all the things that happen to them good or bad over the internet in any form of social media, including blogs.  At first I just knew it was difficult there were struggles in January and some in February but as time went on troubles grew and from many different angles.  Personal, professional, spiritual - the attacks seemed constant.  When I was about half way through the year, finding the good things - the things that provided moments of happiness and joy- seemed impossible.  Thus, the new goal.

  A good memories jar.  I bought some plastic jars for a DIY project that didn't work as well as the directions said it would.  So now I am filling one of those jars with small slips of paper on which I have written the "good memories."  Then when I get a day when I forget what blessings I have experienced I can get out my jar and read them and remember all those emotions and be encouraged.  My first one of the year was getting to meet my friends' new son at a week old last Friday!  To quote the hymn "How sweet to hold a new born baby."  What an incredible metaphor for my hopes in the upcoming year!  A newness of life, a sweet gentleness that comes with peace and hope and love - an example of the great promises in store for all of us as we start fresh - or maybe even start over.

I pray that The Lord continues to guide me and bless me on my journey and as always ....

May God bless you on your journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The lost art

The voice of God

100 days