The song

If you are a regular reader if my blog chances are you might recall the first post.  It outlined 5 year long goals for me to accomplish, one of which was composing a song that's been floating around in my head.

I started the song in January.  It sucked.  I didn't like it.  It was 17 measures of crap.  I never really gave it much more attention.

During the summer months on several occasions I just sat at the church piano and played bits of a melody or developed a chord structure.  I never put any of that on paper.  

I'm not sure why, but about two weeks ago, I started writing this song.  It's possible that the act of composing the song is helping me deal with the stress elements of my life.
I'm not a composer.  I'm a decent conductor, I'm a good teacher, but composing was never my forte.  I haven't written anything original since theory class in college.

But I love my song.  It floats and soars, it's pretty to hear and yet I've tried to remind myself of proper structure and form.  I'm recalling terms I haven't used since college and attempting to make this not just a pretty piece of music but an actual quality musical adventure.

There's some beautiful interplay between the instruments.  Some call and response sections, development of the opening melodies, I could go on and on.

I'm about 46 measures into the song.  I'm not sure how many there will be when all is said and done.  I feel as if I'm only half way through.

What I can't believe is the joy I get from doing this.  My step feels light after I have worked on a few measures.  Art is such an expression of one 's soul and perhaps that's what I'm doing.  Expressing my journey on a deeper level than I would ever be able to express with words.

Today's advice:  get creative!  Color, draw, paint, sculpt, play an instrument, sing, dance, cook, write poetry, build a new structure (I'm thinking here of the way my niece and nephew turn Legos into amazing structures).  Just express yourself, create something new.


May God bless you on your journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The voice of God

The lost art

100 days